The City of South Daytona was once a town called Blake, with some forty (40) resident families and as many more non-resident property holders. The land was peculiarly adapted to orange culture and vegetable gardening, in which many of the early settlers were profitably engaged. According to the National Archives and Records in Washington, D.C., Blake opened its first Post Office on August 19, 1878. Around 1886, the first train came as far as Daytona and, ten years later the line extended to Miami Soon thereafter, a railroad station was built at Big Tree Crossing.
By 1926, the towns of Daytona, Daytona Beach, and Seabreeze were consolidated to make the City of Daytona Beach. Daytona Beach then proceeded to annex all the adjacent territories including the town of Blake. Because of new taxes and appraisals levied, residents of Blake were forced to hire an attorney and eventually, around 1938, succeeded in breaking away from Daytona Beach to become the incorporated town of South Daytona.
Soon after World War II, the town adopted a Building Department, followed by a Planning and Zoning Board. Builders and developers soon became interested in the area and South Daytona started to develop. South Daytona was then in a position to request financial assistance from the federal government for expansion of utilities, streets, etc. South Daytona was the first town in the Halifax area, after Daytona Beach, to install a sanitary sewer system. The town continued to prosper and was incorporated as the City of South Daytona in 1951.
Jim Tobin is the Realtor of choice for South Daytona. Call him at 386.405.4411.
The South Daytona Zip Code served is 32119.